Another year has gone by, the Mayan calendar apocalypse proved false but one thing is true: The Gregorian calendar shows a New Year begins on Tuesday and you can bet corks will be popping in Kirkland at the stroke of midnight on New Year’s Eve.
Some of us will be at home snuggling with our sweetie, and some no doubt snoozing with the lights out. But if you’re in the mood to party hardy you have plenty of options in Kirkland.
We are sure we missed some -- please let us know in the comments box below! - but here are several local New Year’s Eve opportunities.
- Laser lights will be flashing and a live DJ spinning while you roll balls on the lanes at Tech City Bowl (Totem Bowl back in my days as a lad growing up on Rose Hill). Two sessions are planned: A family event 8-10:30 p.m. and an adults only version 11 p.m. to 1:30 a.m. More here.
- Sip champagne while the yacht splashes along Lake Washington with Waterway Cruises’ Cocktail Cruise, departing from Marina Park at 9:30 p.m. More here.
- You know the Wilde Rover will rockin’ downtown, with two DJs spinning and champagne at midnight, $15 at the door. Check it out here.
- Over on Carillon Point, the Woodmark Hotel is offering a full New Year’s Eve package, with a champagne toast at its Beach Cafe (where the TV will be tuned to Times Square) and a special menu by Chef Dylan Giordan at bin on the lake. Details here.
- Across the Carillon Point Plaza, Ted Furst’s Le Grand Bistro will celebrate in style, with a special menu and a special French slash and splash at 9 p.m. That would be a performance of “Le Sabrage,” the Napoleonic tradition of opening a bottle of champagne with a saber and proffering a glass of bubbly to guests. See this for details.
- Downtown, Chef Brian Scheehser at the Heathman Hotel’s Trellis is planning a New Year’s Eve special menu, with multiple courses for $85. Call for details, 425-284-5900.
- And just down Kirkland Ave, Chef Don Curtiss at Volterra is planning a multi-course New Year's Eve menu with multiple entree options -- and Prosecco at midnight! Find out more here.
- The Juanita Pub is planning a party, offering all your drinks, free appetizers and get this: a free ride home within 5 miles, all for one price. It will also have a balloon drop with prizes and a midnight champagne toast. Read more here.
- Over in the Totem Lake area, the Lucky 7 Saloon has had a recent ownership change and its Web site is down. But staff tells us there will likely be a New Year’s Eve party with DJ and champagne.
One final note: You can bet the Kirkland Police Department will be out in force: Please don't drink and drive.
But cheers Kirkland, and Happy New Year!