Chef Brian Scheesher of Kirkland’s highly regarded will be honored with five other chefs from around the country in May as part of the United Fresh Produce Association’s Food Service Awards program.
Scheesher, , was selected in the fine dining category.
The non-profit United Fresh Produce Association will formally recognize the six winners at United Fresh 2012, the association’s annual convention in Dallas, May 1-3. The program, now in its fifth year, honors chefs and their companies for their innovative and influential use of fresh produce in the culinary arts. The non-profit United Fresh Produce Association will formally recognize the six winners at United Fresh 2012, the association’s annual convention and expo in Dallas, May 1-3.
“Food service operators play such an important role in our industry, showcasing fresh produce in new and exciting ways every day. This group of winners stands out as this year’s leaders in featuring fresh fruits and vegetables on their menus,” said United Fresh President Tom Stenzel.
The other five 2012 Produce Excellence in Foodservice Award winners are:
- Business in Industry & Colleges: Chef David Kramer, Chef Instructor, College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, IL
- Casual & Family Dining Restaurants: Chef Michael Stebner, Director of Culinary, True Food Kitchen, Scottsdale, AZ
- Hotels & Healthcare: Chef Christophe Depuichaffray, Area Executive Chef, InterContinental Mark Hopkins and Hotel InterContinental San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- K-12 School Foodservice: Jessica Shelly, Director of Food Services, Cincinnati Public Schools, Cincinnati, OH
- Quick Service Restaurants, John Hughes, Senior Vice President & Director of Training, Jersey Mike’s Subs, Manasquan, NJ
The six winners were selected from nearly 120 nominations submitted by produce companies and food service operations across North America. A panel of produce and food service industry leaders reviewed each nominee’s demonstrated incorporation of fresh produce into menu development, use of protocols for correct storage and handling of produce, leadership in produce-related community service and special events and recognition by their company and industry peers.
All six winners will participate in panel session at United Fresh 2012, Top Chefs! Produce Excellence in Food service Award Winners which will take place on Wednesday, May 2 at 3:00 p.m. For those not able to attend, a recording of the session will be posted on UnitedFresh.TV.
For more information, see Produce Excellence in Food Service Award.
From a United Fresh Produce Association press release.