The following are selected reports from the Kirkland Police Department for the period of Jan. Oct. 25-30.
- Police investigated an incident in which a troubled 28-year-old Des Moines man hugged a 13-year-old Kirkland girl and kissed her on the neck at the Kirkland Library downtown, just after 4 p.m. The girl’s 35-year-old mother declined to press charges, but told police they did not know the man and the affection was unwanted. Police said he appeared to be suffering mental health issues. He was advised that if he returned to the library he would be charged with trespassing.
- The Kirkland police K-9 unit tracked down a 23-year-old Kirkland man just before 1 a.m. somewhere near Totem Lake Boulevard after he allegedly assaulted a clerk at a nearby Chevron gas station, putting the clerk into a headlock and trying to throw him on the floor. The man was arrested on an assault charge after he tried to buy cigarettes with a credit card that wouldn’t work.
- A 47-year-old man who lives on Rose Hill’s NE 75th Street was arrested for assault after allegedly shoving a 16-year-old youth and telling police he didn’t care if it was a crime and he’d do it again. The man apparently didn’t like the fact the youth and two male friends, 14 and 18, were standing in front of mailboxes. The youth was not injured but told police he feared for his safety.
- Mail containing $90 cash was stolen from the mailbox of a 45-year-old woman who lives on NE 125th on Finn Hill, sometime between noon and midnight on Oct. 27. There were no witnesses and no suspects.
- Ten car prowls were reported between Oct. 25-30, with the worst cases being two likely related smash-and-grab incidents reported on Oct. 30 in the 12100 and 12000 blocks of NE 85th on Rose Hill. One victim, an 18-year-old Redmond woman, lost three laptop computers, two calculators, a purse, two phones and backpack between 6:30-7:20 p.m. after someone smashed in a rear window. Around the same time a block away, a 43-year-old Kirkland man lost a laptop computer and an iPod when his front window was smashed in. Other cases included those on Oct. 23 on 132nd Avenue NE, with documents taken from an unlocked car; Oct. 25 on 101st Avenue NE, no details; Oct 26 on 104th Avenue NE, nothing stolen; Oct. 27 on 132nd Avenue NE, a laptop taken from an unlocked car; Oct. 27 on 120th Avenue NE, a flame-burst electric guitar stolen from an unlocked car; Oct. 29 on 77th Avenue, two unlocked cars owned by the same man, sunglasses taken. The two other cases were on Oct. 25 within a block, on NE 112th Place and NE 113th Place, with no details on one incident and a checkbook taken from an unlocked vehicle.
- Police issued a citation to a 39-year-old Snohomish man caught smoking marijuana in his car outside Casino Caribbean in the Totem Lake area about 10:45 p.m. He agreed to a search and police found pot and paraphernalia.
- Police arrested a 50-year-old Yakima man on an assault charge for allegedly for slapping his 52-year-old sister during an argument while the two were drinking at her home in Kirkland on 2nd Street South at around 9:40 p.m. Their 81-year-old mother, who lives at the same home, apparently witnessed the incident.
Kirkland Police Department contact information:
- Emergency: 9-1-1
- Non-emergency: 425-577-5656