Kirkland firefighters found a fire smoldering in the walls of an unoccupied condominium unit at the Kingsgate Ridge Manor late Friday after the neighbor below smelled smoke, according to the Kirkland Fire Department.
The fire, reported just before midnight, occurred in an empty unit in of the Kingsgate Ridge Manor condominium complex in the 12500 block of NE 145th St., said Kirkland Fire Battalion Chief Joe Sanford.
Preliminary investigation points to a fire that started in or outside the walls of the empty unit on the top floor of the building, he said.
The unit had no furniture or other household contents, but the unit had been undergoing work to prepare it for sale, Sanford said.
The neighbor downstairs smelled smoke and called 9-1-1 to report that she thought the unit upstairs from hers was on fire.
Firefighters found the smoldering wall fire using a thermal imaging camera, Sanford said.
Firefighter crews from Kirkland, Bothell and Woodinville responded, and the fire was extinguished in 20 minutes, Sanford said.
Firefighters pulled ceilings and trusses in the attic to extinguish the blaze and all damage was contained to the single condominium unit, Sanford said.
The neighbors next door and downstairs were able to return to their homes, he said. No injuries were reported.